CD Projekt RED has a reputation for continuing to tweak and improve their games in major ways, weeks and months after release, and The Witcher 3 is no exception. The upcoming patch 1.07 has a slew of much needed tweaks, including changes to the inventory system.
The full patch notes are coming later in the week, but what the company has shared so far is making me wish I’d waited a little bit longer to play The Witcher 3:
- A new, alternative (optional) movement response mode for Geralt.
- A player stash for storing items, available in various locations throughout the game. Stash locations are marked on the player’s map.
- Crafting and alchemy components no longer add to the overall inventory weight.
- Books are now placed in a dedicated tab in the Inventory and books that have already been read are properly grayed out.
- Multiple sorting options are now available in the Inventory.
- Alchemy formulas and crafting diagrams can be “pinned”, meaning all components and ingredients required to make them will be conveniently marked in the Shop panel.
- Dozens of fixes for quest related issues, both major and minor.
- A few performance enhancements, including the optimization of FX, scenes and general gameplay.
- Various improvements to horse behavior.
I wonder if the last fix means we’re about to see the end of moments like this?
It’s unclear when exactly the patch will launch, but it’s supposedly coming “soon” to all platforms. In the past, patches have arrived on the PC first, with Xbox and PlayStation to follow soon after. (On PC, CD Projekt RED can distribute patches immediately, not so on consoles.)
“Since it’s been all hands on deck working to finish and release this patch on time, we won’t be publishing a free DLC this week (don’t worry - free content comes back next week). We hope you understand our decision. We’ve gathered so much feedback from you over the past couple of weeks and we want to implement as much of it as possible. The full change list for the patch 1.07 will be coming later this week. Stay tuned for info about the release of the update itself.
Really, it’s the inventory stuff that’s so exciting. Navigating and organizing items in The Witcher 3 is a total pain in the butt right now, so the ability to stash things you’d like to hold onto until later and sort objects are welcomed. My kingdom for a way to organize my items by weight!
You can reach the author of this post at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter at @patrickklepek.