Each week throws off several new video game lists ranging from the humorous to the trivial. What's better? A list of those. Here's a roundup of the rundowns out there.
• Five Regrettable Music/Video Game Moments [OC Weekly] Really only recently have the duet between games and current, popular music hit their stride. OC Weekly looks at some of the five worst combinations from the past, although last year's 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand shows the genre's not out of the woods yet.
• The 10 Worst FPS Games Of The Past Decade [Joystick Division] For a premise such as this, you'd expect to see fanboy hate piled on the usual overrated or overhyped targets. This is actually a well researched piece that truly does dredge up some awful, unfortunately conceived and disastrously executed FPSes. And some screenshots (like Elite Forces: Navy Seals) tell the story by themselves.
• The Ten Worst Console Games of the Generation (So Far) [Joystick Division] JD had a king-sized mad-on for crappy games this week. Here they go after the 10 most miserable failures on the current generation of consoles. Honestly, I don't know what I'd do if it was my job to review a game this bad, because my cognitive dissonance usually tells me I'm the problem - that no one could build something this sh—-y. Then again, I haven't played a single minute of Ninjabread Man or Vampire Rain: Altered Species.
• Six Things About Games that Aren't True [Games Radar] Less a mythbusting piece and more one battling misconceptions and stereotypes, Games Radar points out that all gamers are not slobs, all Wii games are not for babies, and that Pong wasn't the first graphical video game, and that all Koreans are, in fact, good at Starcraft.
• Top 15 Most Badass Video Game Weapons [Heckler Spray] Let's wrap up on a positive note, the 15 biggest, baddest, ass-kicking-and-blowing-uppest armaments we've been blessed to handle in video games. Half Life 2's Gravity Gun and Doom's BFG-9000 make their expected all-star entrances here. I was always partial to Dark Forces' plasma cannon and, just to be an old-school douche, spread fire from Contra and the flaming oil slick from Spy Hunter's hydroplane boat.