A couple weeks ago we were introduced to Kiip, at the forefront of an exciting new opportunity I'm sure you are all fascinated to participate in: Advertising. When you unlock achievements.
Though Kiip seems to be focused on the mobile games sector for now, the prospect of getting a coupon for a free Jumbo Jack combo when you complete Mass Effect 2's main story horrified many, as it should. It's a profanity upon all that we hold dear. And drawing profanities upon all that is held dear is, if nothing else, the purpose of the Kotaku 'Shop Contest.
While open-ended, your mission today should be accessible to most. But it'll need some thought in the writing. Marry achievements to advertisements. Equip a box in Metal Gear Solid? Get a discount from UPS. Visit a Pay-N-Spray in Grand Theft Auto? Discount on the 35-point service at Jiffy Lube. That sort of thing.
While, visually, this can be boiled down to a screengrab and an Xbox 360 achievement bar (or PS3 trophy notice), realize that going the extra mile in 'Shop skills will be recognized. So if we're dealing with game characters, say, redeeming these coupons earned in their games, that will be given appropriate weight.
You know the rules: The 20 best will get rounded up and published at the end of next Saturday. Meantime, I and the rest of the starred commentariat will approve and promote as many as we can so folks can see them and pass judgment.
This is your no-frills step-by-step procedure to participation in the Kotaku 'Shop Contest.
1. Create your 'Shop.
2. Upload it to a free image hosting service. I suggest imgur. It's stupid simple. No account is necessary.
3. This is very important: You must use the URL of the image itself. In imgur, this is the second URL it gives you after you upload the image. It's under "Direct Link (email & IM)"
4. At the beginning of the comments roll, click "Start a New Thread"
5. To the right of your name, select "Image."
6. Paste the imgur URL in the image URL field. It's the field that says "Image URL."
7. You can add editorial commentary if you want, but you can hit submit and your 'Shop entry will be uploaded to the comments.
8. This is important: Keep your image size under 1 MB. It will not upload to comments if it is over that size.
As an added inducement, I want to let you know I do star commenters who send in worthy/funny submissions - whether or not they're chosen for the final 20. This may not happen immediately. I usually start rounding up a gallery by the middle of the week. This is my subjective call, but I do want to recognize as many contributors as possible, and show gratitude for making this such a popular feature on weekends.
Now, Gentlemen, start your 'shopping!