Among the things that beloved editor Michael McWhertor left behind was his curation of the nightly off-topic open thread. And so the responsibility to keep the OT up falls to me, Kotaku's sole west coast editor on Mondays and Tuesdays.
So, bear with me as I track down random things I see in the news in a sad attempt to live up McWhertor's precedent. Though of course, it's an open thread, so talk about whatever you'd like!
- The Thing Screenwriter Debriefs the Disappointment - I haven't seen it, and reviews are bad enough that I probably won't. The film's writer talks about the studio meddling that led to disaster.
- Community's Showrunner Dan Harmon talks smack on The Killing - After last week's supergreat "Remedial Chaos Theory," Dan Harmon says that "I hated that stupid The Killing show on AMC after the first five minutes." Hee. It took me like eight episodes, but I got there eventually.
- Old-ish news, but the rumor is that Lady Gaga is going to be Queen's new singer. Do you guys hate Lady Gaga? I feel like everyone hates Lady Gaga. I don't though, I think she is neat. And yeah, I could also see her singing "Bicycle Race." No, she won't be Freddie, but that's okay. It'll be cool for Queen to perform some more.
- There is going to be a new Three Stooges Movie - and it will be directed by the Farrelly Brothers. Hmm. I think they basically made this movie, and but it was called Dumb and Dumber and there were only two stooges and it was most likely 8,000x better than this remake will be.
- McDonald's is launching an in-store TV channel. - They'll feature BBC America, news programming, and I'm sure a lot of ads for antacid and weight-loss programs.
- Salman Rushdie calls Game of Thrones "Trash" and The Wire "just a police series." - Trolololol.
- Lastly there's this, which Owen sent in: "Teenage Mutant Ninja Noses." I don't have anything to add to the amazingness that is this Tumblr, except to say it has the potential to become the best thing I've seen since Chicks With Steve Buscemeyes.