Update: August 4 - 4:00am Square Enix issued a comment to Kotaku regarding the NX release, attempting to clear up confusion as a discrepancy between the event announcement and the press release. See below for more.
Recently, Nintendo told Kotaku that it was not going to discuss the NX until 2016.
Square Enix just announced Dragon Quest X and Dragon Quest XI for the Nintendo NX. Dragon Quest X appeared on the Wii U, the 3DS, and PC, while Dragon Quest XI is coming to the PS4 and 3DS.
While we don’t yet have release dates, hopefully, this will give you an idea of what to expect for NX.
Update: “Dragon Quest XI, which we announced today, as well as Dragon Quest X, which I’m working as a producer, are planned for release on the NX, which Nintendo is currently developing,” Square Enix producer Yosuke Saito very clearly said as he read from a script during the Dragon Quest event. He said further details would be announced at a later date. This was the last announcement made at Square Enix’s press conference and was part of a “message to all Dragon Quest players.”
The NX release was widely reported in Japanese gaming press (see Famitsu).
Square Enix PR, however, issued a press release after the event saying, the games were being “considered” for the NX.
What gives? Square Enix tells Kotaku, “Our press release contained the official statement that had been originally planned, and there is no reason to believe any changes were made mid-way to the content of the official announcement. The comment made during the event was not based on the official statement, so please allow us to correct our statement at this moment. We regret any confusion this may have caused.”
Kotaku East is your slice of Asian internet culture, bringing you the latest talking points from Japan, Korea, China and beyond. Tune in every morning from 4am to 8am.
To contact the author of this post, write to bashcraftATkotaku.com or find him on Twitter @Brian_Ashcraft.