When Star Wars: Battlefront came out last November, both critics and players noted that the number of vehicles, maps and modes in the first-person shooter came off as a little underweight when compared to similar full-priced games. EA promised that there’d be more stuff to do and play in Battlefront but the additional offerings seem to be missing in action. After a long wait, news about what’s coming got announced today.
Star Wars: Battlefront made its retail debut on November 16. A week after its launch, the game received a free DLC pack called The Battle of Jakku, named after an important planet in the most recent Star Wars film. Things have gotten decidedly more quiet since then, despite a promise from EA execs that they’d be supporting the game for months to come. That silence led to a giant thread on official EA forums, where users grumbled about the lack of info.
Like many big-publisher releases that come out nowadays, Battlefront’s post-launch content is tethered to a season pass. Spend the $50 on the season pass and you get early access to four expansion packs with a mix of new weapons, locations and hero characters. Further communications from EA hinted that a big update would come in January.
Today, the publisher is at long last announcing a new DLC update and outlining their plan for supporting Battlefront moving forward. A blog post from senior producer Sigurlina Ingvarsdottir details the free updates hitting over the next three months. This Wednesday, a January update is bringing more modes and new costumes for Luke Skywalker and Han Solo, based on the pair’s get-ups worn during the Battle of Hoth from The Empire Strikes Back:
- The Tatooine Survival map will now support the Blast, Droid Run, Drop Zone, Hero Hunt, and Heroes vs Villains multiplayer modes, and is called Raider Camp.
- New Hoth-themed outfits for Luke Skywalker and Han Solo, both of which will be available to all fans when they play as these two iconic characters on the Hoth – these were unlocked by our players for completing our Heroes’ Holiday community mission last month.
- We are giving players the ability to create Private Matches, which makes playing with friends even easier.
- The introduction of Daily Challenges and Community Events. These are designed to rally the Community around certain goals and objectives, giving players the chance to earn credits and unlocks even faster. We’ll have more news regarding Community Events and Daily Challenges in the days ahead.
- And of course, we are also including some overall balancing tweaks to both weapons and multiplayer modes.
The February update will bring a brand-new Hoth multiplayer map and a new Survival mission on Hoth. And for March, players get a new Endor multiplayer map and a Tatooine survival map.
Paid content add-ons start in March as well. The roll-out is as follows:
- Star Wars™ Battlefront™ Outer Rim (March 2016) - Fight among the factories of Sullust and battle within Jabba the Hutt’s palace on Tatooine
- Star Wars™ Battlefront™ Bespin (Summer 2016) - It’s hunt or be hunted in this action-packed experience set in the Cloud City of Bespin
- Star Wars™ Battlefront™ Death Star (Fall 2016) – That’s no moon! One of the most iconic locations in the Star Wars universe makes its debut in Star Wars Battlefront.
- Star Wars™ Battlefront™ Expansion Pack 4 – Title TBA (Early 2017) – We will have more details to share about this exciting new expansion pack in the coming months.
Contact the author at email@example.com.