Hello there! It's time for some housekeeping. Yes, yes, housekeeping. In today's thrilling edition, we're going to try to bring some of you up to speed with the way commenting works. Rather, the way commenting works best. By doing so, we're going to direct you attention to a feature our nerdy, but still sexy, sister site Lifehacker ran a while back. Do please read the entire feature! We're just pulling the bullet points from it:
• Stay on topic.
• Contribute new information to the discussion.
• Don't comment for the sake of commenting.
• Know when to comment and when to e-mail.
• Remember that nobody likes a know-it-all.
• Make the tone of your message clear.
• Own your comment.
• Be succinct.
• Cite your sources with links or inline quoting.
• Be courteous.
• Don't post when you're angry, upset, drunk or emotional.
• Do not feed or tease the trolls.
Lovely. Be sure to swing by Lifehacker and read the whole damn thing. Read it twice, three times if you like. Words to comment by, folks.
Geek to Live: Lifehacker's guide to weblog comments [Lifehacker]