Developer Double Fine announced a sequel to the much-loved 10-year old adventure-platformer Psychonauts at The Game Awards tonight. Set a little after the events of the first game, which was set in a summer camp that provided training for mind-invading acrobats, it’ll follow Raz’s continuing adventures through the minds of other people as a professional Psychonaut.
It’s going to be crowd-funded through Fig, a platform that lets pledgers actually become investors rather than just contributors, and Double Fine is looking for $3.3 million from fans (a nod to how much Broken Age raised). The rest of the development budget will be contributed by Double Fine itself, and outside investors.
We spoke to Tim Schafer before the announcement to get some further facts. Here are the big ones:
- It is still in early pre-production.
- Psychonauts 2 will explore more of Raz’s backstory, including his family’s curse to always die in water, as well as more adventures through different minds.
- There’ll be some new psychic powers mixed in with the old ones.
- A lot of the old team is getting back together: Erik Wolpaw will help write it, Peter Chan will be doing more concept art, Peter McConnell is doing the music.
- Voice actors Richard Horvitz (Raz) and Nikki Rapp (Lily) will also be returning.
Have a look at the game’s crowdfunding page on Fig for more.