A thousand Japanese people were asked who their “most favorite” manga artists were. The results may surprise you. Maybe not!
Website Charapedia published the results of the poll. Out of the thousand who participated, 52 percent were men, 48 percent were women, 72.5 percent were in their teens and twenties, and 27.5 percent were in their thirties and up.
Here, let’s take a look at the top twenty. The list includes notable manga by each artist.
20. Izumi Tsubaki (Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun)
19. Takeshi Obata (Death Note)
18. Takehiko Inoue (Slam Dunk)
17. Tite Kubo (Bleach)
16. Clamp (Cardcaptor Sakura)
15. Yusei Matsui (Assassination Classroom)
14. Tadatoshi Fujimaki (Kuroko’s Basketball)
13. Cocoa Fujiwara (Inu x Boku SS, Vol. 1)
12. Hajime Isayama (Attack on Titan)
11. Yoshihiro Togashi (Hunter × Hunter)
10. Yana Toboso (Black Butler)
9. Gosho Aoyama (Detective Conan)
8. Masashi Kishimoto (Naruto)
7. Sui Ishida (Tokyo Ghoul)
6. Rumiko Takahashi (InuYasha)
5. Hirohiko Araki (JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure)
4. Hiromu Arakawa (Fullmetal Alchemist)
3. Akira Toriyama (Dragonball)
2. Eiichiro Oda (One Piece)
1. Hideaki Sorachi (Gintama)
To contact the author of this post, write to bashcraftATkotaku.com or find him on Twitter@Brian_Ashcraft.
Kotaku East is your slice of Asian internet culture, bringing you the latest talking points from Japan, Korea, China and beyond. Tune in every morning from 4am to 8am.