A Colorado man lost his RV and many personal belongings in a blaze that firefighters believe his Nintendo Wii could have started.

“This had nothing to do with the wires,” RV owner Trevor Pellegrin to KKTV (via Wii U Daily). “It started in the actual console of the Wii.”

“I was coming back from a meeting and a I got a phone call from my neighbor that my camper was on fire. ...I was crying, I was screaming, I was still trying to get my things out of there.”

Pellegrin was watching Netflix and tells KKTV that he turned his Wii off when he left the RV.


“There’s no warning label on that Wii saying unplug after use that it may cause a fire, there’s no warning label so I didn’t know to do that, to unplug it.”

Firefighters thought smoking could’ve been the cause, but have apparently ruled that out and all over possibilities, save for the Wii. While the Wii is an older console, this is the first I’ve heard of one catching on fire like this.

Pellegrin said told KKTV, “This is where I live, this is my possessions. It might not be much, but it’s all I had. And then I lost it all, over a game console.”


Nintendo has yet to comment on the fire. Kotaku has reached out and will update should the company issue a statement.

To contact the author of this post, write to bashcraftATkotaku.com or find him on Twitter@Brian_Ashcraft.