Tokyo Game Show and The Taken King dominated our coverage last week, but what were our best stories? I have some thoughts on that:
- The Biggest Game in Japan You’ve Probably Never Heard Of | Toshi explains why Granblue Fantasy had as big a booth at Tokyo Game Show as all of PlayStation. Just one of many TGS 2015 posts from our Brian, Toshi and Richard. Check them all out here.
- Destiny: The Taken King Leaves Players Who Didn’t Upgrade Behind | Jason reports on the disgruntled fans whose non-upgraded copies of Destiny now have fewer features. A good complement to our Taken King coverage, which was otherwise full of great tips, discoveries and punctured puffery.
- 20 Excellent Super Mario Maker Courses You Should Play | Patricia continues covering Mario Maker from all possible angles and does what the game struggles to do: spotlight great levels.
- The Video Game That Chicago Deserves | Patrick manages a rare feat here, as he is bluntly critical of an incomplete indie game’s poor but also persuasively articulates why the game is worth rooting for.
- Bitch Planet Gives Patriarchy a Feminist Middle Finger | Evan continues to stretch our comics coverage beyond the more obvious turf of Marvel and DC super-hero books to showcase lesser-known comics that are worth a look.
Most interesting dramas of the week: Riot vs. trash-talking League of Legends super-fan/YouTuber, Fans of old-school virtual bomb defusing vs. Valve, Madden the video game vs. Madden the possible card game, Until Dawn 2012 vs. Until Dawn 2015.
New game that generated the most enthusiasm from any writer on staff that wasn’t The Taken King: Undertale.
Videos you should watch:
Best headline: 2015: The Year I Loved The Games I Hate
Best GIF (from this post):
To contact the author of this post, write to email@example.com or find him on Twitter @stephentotilo.
Illustration by Tara Jacoby, originally ran on Tina’s post about readers’ refreshingly positive game store experiences.