Oh, Orange Caramel, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
- You’re a sub-unit of After School, the best girl group of all time;
- You are wonderfully quirky and always manage to subvert my expectations with every new release;
- Everything you do is ridiculously catchy, from the one I decided to feature here (perhaps the catchiest of them all), to My Copycat, to Lipstick, and all the way back to your debut with Magic Girl;
- You have blessed us with the best commercial tie-in song in existence;
- You stick to your concept of being wonderfully quirky, unlike some other groups who go through concepts like I go through Pepero sticks;
- At the same time, you’re not afraid to grow within that boundary and experiment with cool stuff like Bangkok City, your brief fling with EDM;
- And most importantly of all, what other group would dare go onstage with this ridiculous yet glorious costume??
It pains me to report that Orange Caramel is no more; fans have known that the group had been moribund for several years now, just like their parent group, After School. But Nana, Raina and Lizzy’s disbandment was made all but official with Lizzy’s departure from the agency today.
Godspeed, Orange Caramel. All of the secondhand embarrassment you brought to me notwithstanding, K-Pop is a shade darker (and boring) without you.