Well, it is cheaper, but is it cheaper? Sony shaved off more than the price for its new PlayStation 3, the PS3 Slim.
Japanese news site Get News did some number crunching — your mileage may very. Let's dive in:
• PS3 Slim = ¥29,980 (US$318)
• PS3 Slim + Game = ¥36,980 ($394)
• PS3 Slim + Game + Stand = ¥38,980 ($415)
• PS3 Slim + Game + Stand + HDMI Cable = ¥41,980 ($447)
• PS3 Slim + Game + Stand + HDMI Cable + 2nd Controller = ¥47,480 ($505)
For this equation, Get News factored in a ¥7,000 ($74) game, which is about what new titles go for, and ¥5,000 ($53) for a new controller.
As we've already proved, it is possible to stand the PS3 Slim up without that little stand thingy — that's not necessary a must have.
What's more, it's possible to do this sort of number crunching for any of the consoles this generation and drive the price up. Just look how additional controllers can kick the Wii's price up.
Know what would be great? No hidden costs in console gaming. Also, hot apple pie with a slice of cheese. Both would be great.