351 days ago, Hasbro and Giant Skull, a studio founded by Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order director Stig Asmussen, announced a new single-player action adventure game set in the tabletop universe. Now, that game has been canceled less than a year after it was first teased.

On May 19, Bloomberg reported that earlier this week, Hasbro canceled a publishing deal with Giant Skull, a studio founded by Asmussen in 2023. Bloomberg reports that earlier this year, it canned the previously announced Dungeons & Dragons action-adventure game that was in development at Giant Skull.

“We assess concepts at every stage of development,” a spokesperson for Wizards of the Coast and Hasbro told the outlet. “While we decided not to pursue an early concept from Giant Skull, we have great respect for Stig Asmussen and his team and value our ongoing relationship.” Hasbro is apparently still taking pitches from Giant Skull.

Asmussen previously worked at Respawn as game director on Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and its sequel, Jedi: Survivor. Before that, he was the game director on God of War III and was art director on God of War II at Sony Santa Monica.

The Giant Skull founder and game director told Bloomberg that he enjoyed working with Wizards of the Coast and parent company Hasbro. He also confirmed that Giant Skull is talking to Hasbro and other companies about possible new publishing deals, adding: “Things are good at Giant Skull.”

Over the last few years, Wizards of the Coast has been investing more in video games. In 2024, Eugene Evans, senior vice president of digital strategy and licensing at WotC, told Game File that it had over 40 video game projects in some form of development or production across internal and external studios and partners. However, Hasbro and WotC have been cutting costs across the company, including with their ambitious video game plans. In February, Hasbro shut down Atomic Arcade, an internal studio that had been working on a G.I. Joe game. Now it’s killed a D&D game despite that franchise being bigger than ever. At the moment, Exodus, its upcoming epic sci-fi game—which looks a lot like the Mass Effect sequel fans have long wanted—is still set to launch in 2027.

🕹️ Level up your inbox

Don’t miss the latest reviews, news and tips. Sign up for our free newsletter.

You May Also Like