High-definition, big headed baseball is currently the hottest thing in Japanese video games. Konami's latest cartoonish baseball sim, Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2011, is the country's number one game.
According to sales tracker Media Create, the weekly software sales chart is ruled by superdeformed baseball on the PlayStation 3. Hot on the heels of that game is more Japanese fare, including the latest Taiko no Tatsujin rhythm game for the PSP and Level 5's soccer role-playing game, Inazuma Eleven Strikers.
Star Fox 64 3D managed a strong first week showing, seemingly helping the Nintendo 3DS to a first place hardware showing.
Here are the top 20 bestselling games in Japan for the week of July 11 to 17.
01. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2011 (PS3) - 117,759 / NEW
02. Taiko no Tatsujin Portable DX (PSP) - 80,215 / NEW
03. Inazuma Eleven Strikers (Wii) - 74,227 / NEW
04. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2011 (PSP) - 73,247 / NEW
05. Puyo Puyo (DS) - 34,903 / NEW
06. Star Fox 64 3D (3DS) - 32,475 / NEW
07. UnchainBlades ReXX (PSP) - 18,256 / NEW
08. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS) - 15,636 / 256,374
09. Wii Sports Resort w/ Wii RemotePlus (Wii) - 14,725 / 402,799
10. Cardboard Senki (PSP) - 12,085 / 256,875
11. Pokemon Black / White (DS)
12. Wii Play Motion (Wii)
13. L.A. Noire (PS3)
14. Steins;gate (PSP)
15. Goldeneye 007 (Wii)
16. Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition (PS3)
17. Infamous 2 (PS3)
18. To Heart 2: Dungeon Travelers (PSP)
19. Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon (PS3)
20. UnchainBlades ReXX (3DS)
On the hardware side, it's the Nintendo 3DS that's giving competitors the business, outselling the PSP by an atypically large margin. Good going, 3DS.
- Nintendo 3DS - 46,637
- PSP - 26,551
- PlayStation 3 - 23,322
- Wii - 14,237
- Nintendo DSi LL - 4,693
- Nintendo DSi - 4,384
- Xbox 360 - 1,734
- PlayStation 2 - 1,405
- Nintendo DS Lite - 131
- PSP go - 14