Today’s “Indie World” presentation from Nintendo was surprisingly packed full of big announcements, including sequels to indie Switch hits Axiom Verge and Golf Story. Here’s a rundown of the big stuff you missed if you weren’t watching along.
- Developer Tom Happ showed a short look at Axiom Verge 2, which will be available in the fall of 2020. A Nintendo press release says it’ll explore “the origins of the Axiom Verge universe.”
- Before that, in mid-2020, we’ll get Sports Story, a sequel to the RPG Golf Story that combines many different sports, like baseball, tennis, soccer, and probably more.
- Skatebird, coming in late 2020, is about a bird on a skateboard and it looks wonderful.
- Gleamlight, from the development studio that did Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, is a side-scrolling action game with a stained-glass look in which you play as a sword.
- Supermash, coming in May, is “set in a game shop owned by a brother and sister who discover a mysterious game console.” Every time they turn it on, it mashes different game genres together. Looks cool!
- Speaking of mashups, Boyfriend Dungeon finally puts dungeon crawling and dating sims together. Date your boyfriends. Battle with them in dungeons. The whole package.
- Here’s a wild one: The developers of Hatoful Boyfriend are teaming with the composer of Ace Attorney for Murder by Numbers, a combo of visual novel and Picross.
- The Survivalists is a pixel-art survival online multiplayer game from Team17.
- The classic shooter Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath is coming to Switch in January.
Other games shown in the Indie World presentation include Streets of Rage 4 (first half 2020), Dreamscaper (early 2020), Bake ‘n Switch (summer 2020), Sail Forth (2020), and Liberated (2020). It was a lot! Looks like Switch is still going to be the de facto platform of indie gaming deep into 2020, which was not exactly in jeopardy.