A note about our review plans for some of this week's biggest games:
As I mentioned last week, we're not necessarily reviewing every game by its release date these days. Some games, particularly those with a focus on online, play merit a little more waiting before we review them.
That said, there are a bunch of big releases this week and yet our roll-out of reviews for them will be somewhat unpredictable. To help you out, here's the plan:
- Assassin's Creed Unity and Rogue: We had hoped to provide you same-day reviews of both games so that those of you with multiple systems and a limited budget could decide whether to pick up the PS4/XboxOne/PC Unity or the PS3/Xbox360 Rogue. Unfortunately, we've only received a review copy of Unity from the game's publisher Ubisoft. We'll have that game reviewed for you on Tuesday, no sooner than noon eastern, which was the embargo time set by the game's publisher (yes, 12 hours after its midnight launch). We won't have a Rogue review until later this week or early next, as we don't want to rush through the game—never a good idea with Assassin's Creeds. If you're curious, we've been able to play Unity's co-op on standard Xbox Live servers for a few days, so we feel like we've got a handle on it.
- Lego Batman 3: Another scheduling bind thanks to late review-copy mailing from the publisher. We only received a copy today and will do our best to review the game this week or next.
- Halo: The Master Chief Collection: No official review planned, but you'll see continued coverage of it following Tina's impressions of it last week.
- World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor: Look for impressions late this week with our traditional MMO diaries to follow in the weeks to come, culminating in a review.
- Sonic Boom: Sega didn't send us copies yet and we're not sure if we'll have a full review. We're playing this one by ear.
- Dragon Age Inquisition: Not actually coming out this week, but reviews will start hitting overnight. We'll have impressions and some other cool stuff this week, but look for a review closer to the game's release next Tuesday.