The stubble. The wrinkles. The sweat. The hair. Nathan Drake’s model has gotten pretty incredible in Uncharted 4 and Naughty Dog took the time today to shed some light on how they nailed it.
In a word, the PS4. In Naughty Dog’s latest dev diary, they talk about what the PS4's power allows them to accomplish in Uncharted 4, and most of it has to do with the level of detail the game can now achieve.
To list a few things:
- Bigger levels with wider open spaces. ND says the levels are ten times bigger than what they’ve done before—and it’s all explorable. This means fewer linear levels, and objectives will sometimes have multiple solutions/routes.
- Better density of detail. There are more people, more objects, more things that can make a place look real and lived in.
- Plenty of outfits for each character.
- Hundreds of destructible objects.
- Better facial animations.
- In-game cutscenes.
Some GIFs that zoom in on Uncharted 4's attention to detail, for your viewing pleasure: