The battle of the non-arthropod invertebrates that begin way back in 1997 finally reaches its third stage later this year, as Team17 prepares Worms 3 for exclusive iOS deployment.
The original turn-based earthworm artillery strategy debuted back in 1995, followed relatively quickly by Worms 2 in 1997. Worms 3D briefly turned the series stupid in 2003, trading the beloved side-view for a third-person view, a move that certain players (read: me) despised. The 3D trend continued with 2005's Worms 4, after which Team17 wandered the gaming world, sprinkling non-numbered installments from Facebook to Xbox Live Arcade.
Now we're back on track.
Worms 3 boasts shiny graphics, new classes of wormly combatants, fresh weapons and something called strategic playing cards. Everything is better with playing cards.
You want official announcement bullet points? You got them.
• PLAY online with asynchronous multiplayer warfare. Enroll in ranked or friendly matches and show off your prowess. Remember, with async you don’t have to commit to a full session at a time. Take your turn then go beat your friend’s score in the single player Bodycount mode!
• CONQUER 27 single player missions across 4 themes: Beach, Spooky, Farmyard and Sewer.
• BATTLE in multiplayer Forts or Deathmatch modes and challenge yourself with the increasingly difficult Bodycount single player game.
• Local Pass N Play multiplayer for up to four players!
• INCOMING! New weapons such as Nora’s Virus, Black Hole Grenade, Canned Heat and the return of fan favourites such as the Old Lady, Homing Pigeon and Boggy B!
• DEAL yourself the advantage with a new, game-changing enhancement. Turn on the card mode and alter the start and end of each turn by the playing of strategic cards.
• COLLECT in-game rewards that allow you to purchase bronze, silver and gold cards. Build your deck from 41 fiendishly designed cards!
• ENLIST your perfect battle combination as you choose your Worms from a new ‘Class’ system - Heavy, Scientist, Scout and classic Soldier. Each has its own unique skill and ability.Which will fit in with your style of play?
• GO LARGE with the fabulous AirPlay feature. Link up to Apple TV and play on one device with up to four players on the big screen. The active player can plot their move secretly on the iOS device while the waiting gamers can witness the move on the TV screen!
• CUSTOMIZE your squad and make them unique with a huge amount of customizable elements new to iOS!
• GREATER CONTROL for players who can now choose between an all-new D-Pad control system and the original touch controls.
• MARVEL at the glorious streamlined menu system. Gamers can now enjoy a much more pleasant and navigable menu system with a quick access player hub for all updates and information!
• BE THE BEST and Worm your way to the top of the Leaderboards across all major game modes including single player as well as asynchronous online ranked matches.
• Show off your skills by earning Achievements! A delightful blend of the simple and complex, these goals have been deliberately engineered to push you and your Wormy skills to the limits!
You want more screens? I can give you those as well.
Want to play Worms 3? Grab your iDevice and stare at it for several months. Eventually it'll pop up.