The Monster Hunter dynasty continues its proud rein in Japan this week with the latest entry in Capcom's beast slaying sensation managing to win over more PSP fans to its brand of hack and slash action.
It may have had something to do with the fact that only one key release managed to sell well enough in Japan to crack the top ten. That would be Square Enix's SaGa 3: Jikuu no Hasha - Shadow or Light for the Nintendo DS. Slow releases means one thing — the chart is dominated by "evergreen" Nintendo releases like New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Kart Wii and Wii Fit Plus. Finally, those Wii games are getting some recognition!
Below are the bestselling video games in Japan for the week of January 3 to 9, according to sales tracker Media Create.
01. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (PSP) - 134,000 / 3,983,000
02. Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii) - 67,000 / 705,000
03. Wii Party (Wii) - 53,000 / 1,730,000
04. Pokemon Black / White (DS) - 46,000 / 5,012,000
05. Mario Sports Mix (Wii) - 40,000 / 534,000
06. Ni no Kuni (DS) - 37,000 / 420,000
07. Gundam Musou 3 (PS3) - 30,000 / 319,000
08. SaGa 3: Jikuu no Hasha - Shadow or Light (DS) - 27,000 / NEW
09. The 3rd Birthday (PSP) - 27,000 / 213,000
10. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii) - 25,000 / 4,202,000
11. Wii Sports Resort w/ Wii Remote Plus (Wii)
12. Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
13. Inazuma Eleven 3: Sekai e no Chousen! The Ogre (DS)
14. AKB1/48: Idol to Koishitara... (PSP)
15. Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem (DS)
16. Tongari Boushi to Mahou no Otana (DS)
17. Wii Fit Plus (Wii)
18. Super Mario All-Stars Collection (Wii)
19. Super Kasekihorida (DS)
20. Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Minna de Party * 3-Yome! (Wii)
On the hardware front, the chart belongs to Nintendo. PSP sales slip to a low point, while the Wii gains ground on the PlayStation 3.
- PlayStation 3 - 59,612
- Wii - 56,547
- Nintendo DSi LL - 44,122
- Nintendo DSi - 38,486
- PSP - 28,757
- Nintendo DS Lite - 4,510
- PSP go - 4,084
- Xbox 360 - 3,859
- PlayStation 2 - 2,547