We're in 2015. Last year is last year. It's over. The past! But let's take a look at which games dominated the Japanese sales so far this year. Brace yourself for games that... also dominated last year.
Japanese website 4Gamer published a list of the country's top selling games from the first sales week of 2015, which began December 29, 2014 and ended on January 4 of this year. Here's how the top ten shaped up:
10. Gundam Breaker 2 (PS3): 22,414 units sold
9. Gundam Breaker 2 (PSV): 26,477
8. Mario Kart 8 (Wii U): 38,637
7. Yokai Watch 2 Ganso/Honke (3DS): 42,765
6. Final Fantasy Explorers (3DS): 49,671
5. Monster Hunter 4G (3DS): 51,306
4. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Wii U): 85,776
3. Super Smash Bros. for 3DS (3DS): 91,857
2. Pocket Monsters Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire (3DS): 165,329
1. Yokai Watch 2 Shinuchi (3DS): 262,310
Gundam? Check. Mario? Check. Final Fantasy? Check. Monster Hunter? Check. Pokemon? Check. Yokai Watch? Check. Shame there wasn't a new Dragon Quest game out during the week!
Top photo: Chris McGrath | Getty Images
To contact the author of this post, write to bashcraftATkotaku.com or find him on Twitter @Brian_Ashcraft.
Kotaku East is your slice of Asian internet culture, bringing you the latest talking points from Japan, Korea, China and beyond. Tune in every morning from 4am to 8am.