The release of God of War has opened up the possibility that the icons of gaming can grow up to take responsibility for the world around them. Kratos is trying to raise his son, but what does growing up look like for other famous protagonists?
Mario has to mow the lawn for his friend Peach. She’s had a busy couple weeks at work, so he’s being a good adult friend and coming over to do a little lawn work. Maybe Samus is helping a friendly alien do some spring cleaning. Sam Fisher could volunteer to help clean plastic out of a coral reef. Tidus could take out the trash.
In this week’s ‘Shop Contest, I want to see our video game pals growing up. I’m interested in knowing what maturity looks like for creatures who exist to power our most immature fantasies. The more menial the task, the more serious the attempt, the better.
Good luck. I wish you all well in your attempts to generate some serious responsibility in the lives of these freewheeling people. The rest of the instructions are below.
How To Upload Images — Instructions
1. Create your ‘Shop and save it to your desktop. Images must be at least 636 pixels wide.
2. Go to the bottom of this post
3. This brings up a comment window. Click “Choose file” if you’re uploading your ‘shop from your desktop
4. Alternatively, you can upload the ‘Shop to a free image hosting service. I suggest imgur. Then paste the image’s URL into the field that says “Image URL.” Note: this must be the URL of the image itself, not the page where it is displayed. That means the URL ends in .jpg, .gif, .png, whatever.
5. Add editorial commentary and hit submit and your image will load. If it doesn’t, upload the image to imgur and paste the image URL as a comment. I will look at it.
6. Large-size images may not upload properly, though we have seen some animated .gifs upwards of 5 MB. If you’re still having trouble uploading the image, try to keep its longest dimension (horizontal or vertical) under 1000 pixels, or the whole thing under 2 MB.