Earlier this week Mattel introduced its 2016 Barbie lineup, packed with new shapes and sizes and one exciting new profession. Game developer Barbie is a great idea, though while I’ve seen plenty of devs working from a laptop on a crystal cylinder, I think we can do better.
I’m actually impressed by what Mattel is trying to do with the Barbie line, despite the obvious issues that arise when you create dolls meant to evoke more realistic body shapes and then gift them to young children in an attempt to give them something to relate to.
I’m looking forward to seeing more from the line at Toy Fair 2016 in a couple of weeks. I’ve never been before, so I figured I would toss up this ‘Shop Contest in order to potentially make my first visit as awkward as possible.
No hand holding on this one—just use whatever Barbie images you can find to create a Game Developer Barbie that’s a bit more game developer-y. Where are the dark circles under her eyes? Where’s the pink slip accessory for when her team is laid off after their game releases? Is there pizza involved? I think pizza should be involved.
You have until next Saturday to finish this project. Let’s go, it’s crunch time!
How To Upload Images — Instructions
1. Create your ‘Shop and save it to your desktop. Images must be at least 800 pixels wide. If they aren’t, you will be playfully spanked.
2. Go to the bottom of this post
3. This brings up a comment window. Click
4. This brings up Click “Choose file” if you’re uploading your ‘shop from your desktop
5. Alternatively, you can upload the ‘Shop to a free image hosting service. I suggest imgur. Then paste the image’s URL into the field that says “Image URL.” Note: this must be the URL of the image itself, not the page where it is displayed. That means the URL ends in .jpg, .gif, .png, whatever.
6. Add editorial commentary and hit submit and your image will load. If it doesn’t, upload the image to imgur and paste the image URL as a comment. I promise I will look at it.