Seeing as Star Wars: Old Republic takes place within the confines of a massive galactic conflict, every Player vs Player encounter can be viewed as a small battle in one enormous war.

At this stage, then, who's winning?

According to BioWare the Empire is, having taken out 53% of the Alderaan Civil War and Voidstar matches, leaving the Republic at 47%.

One thing, though: how compelled are players to try and effect a serious outcome in this, when thanks to Star Wars' increasingly cumbersome canon we know the Republic survives anyway?

New Year's PvP Update [BioWare]