While I was busy checking out Guitar Hero: On Tour on the DS last week, on the other side of the hall I could hear everyone rocking out to the strains of Aerosmith. Being somewhat of a classic rock fan myself, I headed over to see what the hub bub was all about. Clearly it would be folly to try and explain the ins and outs of the workings of Guitar Hero at this point. If you haven't played it or at least watched it being played live or via videos, you must be living under a rock. Instead I will endeavor to cover all the new features that this particular iteration includes.

As the title implies, Aerosmith band members have been added to the roster of playable characters. Joe Perry, Brad Whitford and Tom Hamilton are all available for your use with singer Steve Perry and drummer Joey Kramer appearing when needed for full Aerosmith action. As an added bonus, Aerosmith coverer DMC will also be around to join in the hijinks as a playable character.


A slew of Aerosmith hits are available on the 41 song set list (a partial list resides after the jump) which is comprised of about 60% of original Aerosmith material. The remaining 40% are songs by "opening acts" and include hits such as Mott the Hoople's All the Young Dudes (cover) and The Cult's She Sells Sanctuary just to name a few. new venues are also a feature and include not only the site of Areosmith's first concert, Nipmuc High School but many others including: Max's Kansas City, The Orpheum Theater, the Superbowl Half Time Show and Moscow.

It's true that this version of Guitar Hero has plenty of new material to keep fans interested, especially those of the Aerosmith fan variety, and it's no where near the cop out that was Guitar Hero Eighties. But, will it be enough to send people out to buy a full priced retail version? With the advent of all the recently available DLC, a new retail version that doesn't include anything new gameplay wise seems a bit of a risky move. But then again, I never underestimate the power of a new song list to sell copies. I'm hoping that some or all of these songs will be made available as DLC in the future, but I'm not going to hold my breath.


Nipmuc High School

Mott the Hoople – All the Young Dudes *Cover

Cheap Trick – Dream Police

Aerosmith – Make It

Aerosmith – Uncle Salty

Aerosmith – Draw the Line


Max's Kansas City

Joan Jett – I hate myself for loving you

The Kinks – All day and all of the night *Cover

Aerosmith – Movin' Out

Aerosmith – No Surprize

Aerosmith – Sweet Emotion

The Orpheum Theater

The Clash – Complete Control

New York Dolls – Personality Crisis *Cover

Aerosmith – Livin' on the Edge

Aersomith – Ragdoll

Aerosmith – Love in an Elevator

Half Time Show

Lenny Kravitz – Always on the Run

Black Crowes – Hard to Handle *Cover

Aerosmith – Back in the Saddle

Aerosmith – Beyond Beautiful

Aerosmith – Dream On


The Cult – She Sells Sanctuary

Run DMC – King of Rock

Aerosmith – Bright Light Fright

Aerosmith – Nobody's Fault

Run DMC featuring Aerosmith – Walk This Way