The most fun I've had in Guild Wars 2 was back in April, when ArenaNet launched a homage to 16-bit adventure games called Super Adventure Box. Only open for a month, the game has been a depressingly high resolution place ever since. That all changes next week, when an expanded Super Adventure Box takes players back to school.
It's time to venture deeper into World 2, over the river (rapids), through the Pain Cliffs to Storm Top, where the Storm Wizard boss awaits those foolish enough to follow through on the whole point of the game.
There's a brutal new difficulty level, fresh rewards, and even more ridiculously complex jumping puzzles.
But most of all, there will be joy. So much joy,
The new Super Adventure Box launches with Guild Wars 2's September 3 update, which also brings other features best left for lengthy box-quoted feature lists.
· Continued Education: Players can continue their studies by going deeper into World 2, traveling through the Rapids, Pain Cliffs and Storm Top, where they’ll meet their lethal final exam in the form of the Storm Wizard. Unlocking new items and upgrades along the way will be the key to getting ahead.
· Tribulation Mode: Moto’s newest challenge teaches resilience and non-linear thinking. Players will learn that life isn’t easy in this new, ridiculously difficult mode for all zones in Worlds 1 and 2.
· Super Weapon Set: Players can acquire a stylish new look for their weapons by trading in Bauble Bubbles to earn the rest of the Super Weapon Skins.
· King Toad and Storm Wizard Weapons: Showing their prowess in Super Adventure Box, players will earn the materials necessary for King Toad and Storm Wizard weapons.
· Mini Princess Miya: Players can create their own mini Princess Miya by combining in the forge a mini Moto and elements of Princess Miya’s outfit.
· Craft Ascended Weapons: New recipes and materials will be hidden around the world, and a new skill cap of 500 will be introduced for the Weaponsmith, Artificer and Huntsman crafting disciplines. Players crafting their way to 500 will become Grandmaster Crafters and can learn the secrets of crafting Ascended weapons.
· Legendary Weapon Updates: Legendary weapons will receive a stat boost, an Offensive Infusion slot to align with new Ascended weapons and additional functionality, among other things.
· Account-Wide Magic Find: Magic Find will be removed as an equipment stat and implemented as an account-wide bonus applied to all of a player’s characters.