And no, it's not Vigil's Dark Millenium, sorry. From Quebec-based developer Behaviour Interactive comes Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade, a "wholly new MMORPG persistent war experience" set in Games Workshop's Warhammer 40K universe, arriving in 2015.
In Eternal Crusade, you'll get to fight in huge battles for control over the planet the game takes place on. Each player, of course, gets to choose a faction, of which there will be four initially, to fight for. According to Games Workshop Head of Licensing Jon Gillard, players will experience "the thrill of first hand combat in this world of eternal conflict, with thousands of other players beside you."
Miguel Caron, Head of Behaviour Interactive's Online Studio, also added that "Eternal Crusade’s team are all MMO development veterans and with the support of Behaviour’s 20+ years of experience this is going to be the online Warhammer 40,000 universe game that fans have been dreaming of for years!"
So much hype! Let's take a look at the promised features:
- Experience the gameworld with 3rd-person, behind the shoulder action featuring precision gunplay and brutal melee combat with excruciating finishers;
- Participate in a persistent online war to conquer the planet, its fate completely in the hands of the players;
- Become a warrior from one of four initial factions, each unique and opposed to one another: Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines, Orks and Eldar.
- Participate in truly massive conflicts that simultaneously bring thousands of players to bear over territories and other strategic resources.
- Get behind the controls of Space Marine Rhinos, Predators, Ork Battlewagons and other iconic vehicles of the 41st millennium;
- Hack through genuinely challenging procedural content alongside your battle-brothers and never have the same experience twice;
- Earn the right to customize your builds in a deep progression system drawing on the rich Warhammer 40,000 universe.
- Found a Battle Squad with friends and prepare for conflict from your customized shared space in orbit – then drop down to the planet together and seek out glory!
Whoah. That's quite the list—we'll see if Behaviour can deliver in late 2015, when Eternal Crusade is set to land on PC, Xbox One, and PS4.
Join the Eternal Crusade™ starting in 2015 [Behaviour Interactive]
Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade [Official Website]
Questions? Comments? Contact the author of this post at andras-AT-kotaku-DOT-com.