The experience that many people were hoping would be on the portable versions of Mojang's hit construction/adventure game should be finally coming to iOS and Android.
The biggest complaint about Minecraft Pocket Edition has been that it only delivers the PC game's Creation mode, the part of the game that lets players build outlandishly detailed environments and accoutrements in pixellated fashion. But Minecraft's as much about running from and killing creepers as recreating famous Game Boy titles. To not have that aspect of the game felt like a major void for players and Mojang's working to bring some of that to the handheld iteration.
A new post on the company's blog details what they're working to bring to Pocket Edition:
This is what the plan looks like right now and being worked on:
• A new file system – to make sure we can support items and mobs in the world
• Item system – to be able to pick up items
• Crafting – we know you want this :) This will probably need some iterations since the interface will be customized for the touch devices
• Inventory system
• Mobs – animals and enemies!
• Optimizing rendering code – we are experimenting with caves but need to make it work better before we are able to release it
• Clean up of code and overall optimization
So, while it might not be the same exact thing as you get on a PC, mobile Minecraft will be becoming a more robust experience.