Another week, another ridiculous amount of Monster Hunter Portable 3rd served up to Japanese video game fans. Just how many more fans did the monster hunting action adventure managed to lure in this week?
Another 284,000, inching sales of Capcom's wildly successful Monster Hunter series closer to the 4 million mark. The PSP game managed to more than double sales of its nearest competitor, Donkey Kong Country Returns, which continues to do quite well for the Wii in Japan alongside Wii Party and Mario Sports Mix.
The rest of the top ten is a mix of DS, PSP and PlayStation 3 titles (Gundam Musou 3, still hangin' in there), with little new on the list. Media Create ranks the top 20 bestselling games, from December 27 to January 2, like so.
01. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (PSP) - 284,000 / 3,850,000
02. Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii) - 107,000 / 638,000
03. Wii Party (Wii) - 103,000 / 1,677,000
04. AKB1/48: Idol to Koishitara... (PSP) - 64,000 / 300,000
05. Mario Sports Mix (Wii) - 58,000 / 494,000
06. Pokemon Black / White (DS) - 58,000 / 4,967,000
07. Ni no Kuni (DS) - 53,000 / 382,000
08. Inazuma Eleven 3: Sekai e no Chousen! The Ogre (DS) - 45,000 / 338,000
09. The 3rd Birthday (PSP) - 45,000 / 186,000
10. Gundam Musou 3 (PS3) - 43,000 / 289,000
11. Wii Sports Resort (w/ Wii Remote Plus) (Wii)
12. Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem (DS)
13. Tongari Boushi to Mahou no Otana (DS)
14. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)
15. Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
16. Super Mario All-Stars Collection (Wii)
17. Momotaro Dentetsu World (DS)
18. Super Kasekihorida (DS)
19. Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Minna de Party * 3-Yome! (Wii)
20. Gran Turismo 5 (PS3)
Hardware wise, the war between the PSP and Nintendo DS is much like the one between the PlayStation 3 and Wii: pretty damn close.
- PSP - 99,703
- Wii - 77,307
- PlayStation 3 - 76,422
- Nintendo DSi - 48,039
- Nintendo DSi LL - 47,798
- PSP go - 9,083
- Nintendo DS Lite - 3,741
- Xbox 360 - 3,708
- PlayStation 2 - 2,480