After losing the weekly hardware battle against the deeply entrenched PlayStation Portable, the Nintendo 3DS strikes back, becoming the bestselling piece of hardware in Japan. The system likely has two new games to thank for that little surge.
Pilotwings Resort was just released overseas, as was a 3D version of Konami's baseball sim Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2011. That particular game charted best on the PlayStation 3 and the PSP, but the 3DS version landed in the top ten too.
The bestselling software in Japan this week was actually a PSP game, the latest entry in the Super Robot Wars crossover series. More than 300,000 copies of that robot versus robot sim were sold last week, according to sales tracker Media Create.
See how THQ's Homefront and other new releases debuted in Japan this past week. Here are the bestselling games from Japan for the week of April 11 to 17.
01. Dai-2-Ji Super Robot Taisen Z Hakai-hen (PSP) - 307,019 / NEW
02. Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2011 (PS3) - 86,486 / NEW
03. Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 Professional (DS) - 86,364 / 291,769
04. Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2011 (PSP) - 71,264 / NEW
05. Persona 2: Tsumi (PSP) - 62,721 / NEW
06. Pilotwings Resort (3DS) - 26,554 / NEW
07. Homefront (PS3) - 22,111 / NEW
08. Earth Defense Force 2 Portable (PSP) - 16,898 / 80,693
09. Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2011 (3DS) - 11,644 / NEW
10. Dynasty Warriors 6 (PS3) - 10,369 / 410,977
11. Amagami (EBKore+) (PSP)
12. Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection (PSP)
13. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (PSP)
14. Homefront (Xbox 360)
15. nintendogs + cats (3DS)
16. Wii Party (Wii)
17. Pokemon Black / White
18. Dissidia Duodecim Final Fantasy (PSP)
19. Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity (PSP)
20. Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (3DS)
As already mentioned, the Nintendo 3DS managed to secure the top spot in Japan, with the PSP and PlayStation 3 trailing closely behind. Slower sales of the Wii and DS platforms keep those platforms relegated to fourth place and lower. Right now, it doesn't look like the PSPgo will have a presence on the chart much longer, unless Sony slashes the price in Japan to get rid of its remaining stock.
- Nintendo 3DS - 28,252
- PSP - 23,846
- PlayStation 3 - 22,265
- Wii - 8,122
- Nintendo DSi LL - 7,724
- Nintendo DSi - 6,809
- Xbox 360 - 1,898
- PlayStation 2 - 1,261
- Nintendo DS Lite - 423
- PSP go - 207