As of June 30, a number of games - some of them among the best of all time - will have their online components cease to be supported.
Among the casualties will be Battlefield 1942 (PC), C&C Generals (PC), Crysis (PC), Master of Orion III (PC), Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (PC), the original Neverwinter Nights (PC) and its sequel, and both Star Wars: Battlefront titles on PC.
There are also some Wii, DS and even PS2 games among the casualties, but those ones listed above are the big ones.
The move comes as EA, who either made, published or now own the rights to all those games, reacts to the looming closure of Gamespy, itself an ancient online service which has been keeping these classics' multiplayer alive on life-support for years. With Gamespy closing down on May 31, the EA games using it will be cut off as well.
Of course, this doesn't mean the games will be dead. The singleplayer component of most of these will still work just fine. And as for multiplayer stuff, where there's demand, fans usually take up the slack and host servers once official ones die off. For the big ones, like the Battlefield titles, EA is even "investigating community-supported options to preserve online functionality for these titles", though it also admits "Significant technical hurdles remain, and at this time we don't have anything to announce".
But that kind of help won't arrive for every game on the chopping block, especially the console ones, so if you're one of the three people worldwide still playing the online modes of Green Day: Rock Band on the Wii, time to get your goodbyes ready.
The full list of games affected is below.
- Battlefield 1942 for PC and Mac (including The Road to Rome and Secret Weapons of WW2 expansions)
- Battlefield 2 for PC (including Special Forces expansion)
- Battlefield 2: Modern Combat for PlayStation 2
- Battlefield 2142 for PC and Mac (including Northern Strike expansion)
- Battlefield Vietnam for PC
- Bejeweled (r) 2 for the Wii
- Bulletstorm for PlayStation 3
- Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars for PC and Mac (including Kane's Wrath expansion)
- Command & Conquer: Generals for PC and Mac (including Zero Hour expansion)
- Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 for PC and Mac
- Crysis 2 for PC
- Crysis for PC
- Crysis Wars for PC
- Dracula - Undead Awakening for the Wii
- Dragon Sakura for Nintendo DS
- EA Sports 06 for PC
- F1 2002 for PC
- FIFA Soccer 08 (KOR) for the Wii
- FIFA Soccer 08 for Nintendo DS
- FIFA Soccer 09 for Nintendo DS
- FIFA Soccer 10 for Nintendo DS
- FIFA Street 3 for Nintendo DS
- Full Spectrum Warrior: Ten Hammers for PlayStation 2
- Global Operations for PC
- GREEN DAY: ROCK BAND for the Wii
- James Bond: Nightfire for PC
- Madden NFL 08 for Nintendo DS
- Madden NFL 09 for Nintendo DS
- Master of Orion III for PC
- Medal of Honor: Allied Assault for PC and Mac (including Breakthrough and Spearhead expansions)
- MySims Party for Wii
- MySims Racing for Nintendo DS
- MySims SkyHeroes for the Wii and DS
- NASCAR Sim Racing for PC
- NASCAR Thunder 2003 for PC
- NASCAR Thunder 2004 for PC
- Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 for PC
- Need for Speed: ProStreet for Nintendo DS
- Need for Speed: Undercover for Nintendo DS
- Neverwinter Nights 2 for PC and Mac
- Neverwinter Nights for PC, Mac and Linux (including Hordes of the Underdark and Shadows of Undrentide expansions)
- SimCity Creator for Wii
- Skate It for Nintendo DS
- Sneezies for the Wii
- Spore Creatures for Nintendo DS
- Spore Hero Arena for Nintendo DS
- Star Wars: Battlefront for PC and PlayStation 2
- Star Wars: Battlefront II for PC and PlayStation 2
- THE BEATLES: ROCK BAND for the Wii
- Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 for Nintendo DS