[Images: Platinum Games | Atlus | Platinum Games]

Gamers in Japan love RPGs. But which ones are their favorites? Weekly Famitsu set out to answer that question in a recent poll.

Between June 22 and June 28, the magazine asked 2,295 readers for the RPGs they liked best. Out of those who replied, 56 percent were men and 43 percent were women (1 percent did not list either). Nine percent were in their teens, 36 percent in their 20s, 37 percent in their 30s, 16 percent in their 40s, 1 percent in their 50s, and another 1 percent did not give their age.

Advertisement

As with the previous polls (here and here, for example), each person was allowed to vote for up to three titles (though people could only vote for one or two if they wanted). Famitsu then calculated these votes as “points.”

20. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PS4/Xbox One/PC) - 72 points

19. Final Fantasy VIII (PlayStation/PC) - 74 points

18. Final Fantasy IX (PlayStation/PC/iOS/Android) - 75 points

17. Mother 2 (SNES) - 78 points

16. Final Fantasy VI (SNES/PlayStation/GBA/iOS/Android) - 81 points

15. Dragon Quest IV (NES/PlayStation/DS/iOS/Android) - 82 points

14. Persona 5: The Golden (Vita) - 90 points

13. Xenogears (PlayStation) - 91 points

12. Final Fantasy X (PS2/PS3/PS4/Vita/PC) - 100 points

11. Xenoblade (Wii/3DS) - 104 points

10. Final Fantasy XV (PS4/Xbox One) - 110 points

9. Persona 3 (PS2/PSP) - 131 points

8. Nier Replicant (PS3) - 151 points

7. Suikoden II (PlayStation) - 155 points

6. Dragon Quest V (SNES/PS2/DS/iOS/Android) - 165 points

5. Final Fantasy VII (PlayStation/PC/PS4/iOS/Android) - 169 points

4. Nier: Automata (PS4/PC) - 177 points

3. Chrono Trigger (SNES/PlayStation/DS/Mobile/iOS/Android) - 194 points

2. Dragon Quest III (NES/SNES/GBC/Mobile/iOS/Android) - 218 points

1. Persona 5 (PS3/PS4) - 256 points

What about you? What’s your favorite RPG?


Kotaku East is your slice of Asian internet culture, bringing you the latest talking points from Japan, Korea, China and beyond. Tune in every morning from 4am to 8am.