You know what would make Dota 2 more fast-paced and exciting? Turning it into a different video game, of course!
Say hello to “Slayers of the Ancients” a “highly experimental” mod made by Steam user BMD that turns the MOBA into “a capture-the-flag 3rd person shooter in the style of Team Fortress 2.” Spotted earlier by PC Gamer, the mod is still a little rough around the edges and currently only supports three playable Dota 2 characters, but it looks like some good fun all the same:
Here are BMD’s specifications for the current mod:
- Each match is Red vs Blue, up to 24 players
- The winning team is the first to reach 200 points
- Points are earned by capturing flags (35 points), or killing the enemy
- Currently there are 3 heroes, Sniper, Juggernaut, and Shadow Fiend
- Each hero has different weapons, speeds, jumping characteristics, and movement skill
- Full keyboard controls are supported including WASD movement and mouse aiming/shooting
BMD also said that the source code “will be provided once more stabilized, or upon request.” You can check out “Slayers of the Ancients” and play it yourself by downloading it from BMD’s Steam page.
I should also point out that if the idea of a MOBA played in more of a third-person shooter format than the traditional isometric RTS perspective of yore, you should also check out Smite, because that’s exactly what the game is.