One of the most highly anticipated Wii U titles ever, Mario Kart 8 is going to be all over the place once Nintendo releases it on May 30. I bet the Photoshop-savvy readers of Kotaku can beat them to the punch.
The only Mario Kart I've ever loved goes wide this Friday, giving the Wii U a much needed kick in the pants and turning countless fans into candy-coated speed freaks. It's only natural the passion of the race spill over into the real world, or movies, or television shows, or classical works of art — you get the picture. Or you'll make the picture. Either way.
Because I am a beneficial 'Shop Contest facilitator, I've taken the liberty of downloading a whole bunch of Mario Kart 8 art assets, dropping them into a conveninet Imgur album for your retrieval. Sadly they are not transparent, but isolating the elements should be pretty easy. To grab them, click the gear in the top right corner of the gallery and choose "download full resolution".
I have given you the raw material. Now put it in strange and wonderful places, using only the power of your mind. And your computer. And some software. The mouse will probably help too.
NOTE: Please take extra care to make sure your finished images are at the very least 636 pixels wide. Editing smaller pics so they'll fit the winners post eats a lot of extra time.
Not sure how to upload images? Follow these simple steps and you'll soon be uploading pictures to the internet like a pro.
1. Create your 'Shop and save it to your desktop.
2. Go to the bottom of this post
3. This brings up a comment window. Click
4. This brings up Click "Choose file" if you're uploading your 'shop from your desktop
5. Alternatively, you can upload the 'Shop to a free image hosting service. I suggest imgur. Then paste the image's URL into the field that says "Image URL." Note: this must be the URL of the image itself, not the page where it is displayed. That means the URL ends in .jpg, .gif, .png, whatever.
6. Add editorial commentary and hit submit and your image will load. If it doesn't, upload the image to imgur and paste the image URL as a comment. I promise I will look at it.
7. Large-size images may not upload properly, though we have seen some big-ass animated .gifs upwards of 5 MB. If you're still having trouble uploading the image, try to keep its longest dimension (horizontal or vertical) under 1000 pixels, or the whole thing under 2 MB.
On your marks, get set — DO IT!