New consoles new schmonzles. Not everyone is racing into the next generation of games, and that's okay.
Really, those who are willing to wait might be getting the better bargain here. For one: neither the Xbox One or PS4 are must-buys just yet. Waiting now might mean you get to buy either console at a cheaper price or when a sexier redesign hits—which is also hopefully means some of the current issues on the Xbox One and PS4 have been ironed out. And of course, waiting might mean you jump into the new generation when there are more games, too.
That's all stuff you can look forward to if you wait a bit before buying new consoles...but what exactly do you have to look forward to on older consoles, like the PS3 and Xbox 360? Plenty, it turns out—the first year or two of next-gen gaming will see lots of cross-platform releases which will hit both current and old generation consoles. Here are some of the more notable games coming for the PS3 and 360—note that these are all estimates for American releases:
- The Walking Dead Season 2 drops sometime later this year.
- Assassin's Creed Liberation HD drops in January 2014.
- Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII drops in February 2014.
- Thief drops in February 2014.
- South Park: The Stick of Truth drops in March 2014.
- Dark Souls IIdrops in March 2014.
- Titanfall drops in March 2014—but only for the 360, not PS3.
- Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes drops sometime in 2014.
- Watch Dogs drops sometime in 2014.
- Dragon Age: Inquisition drops sometime in 2014.
- The Evil Within drops sometime in 2014.
- Destiny drops sometime in 2014.
- Mighty No. 9 drops sometime in 2015.
- Persona 5 drops...eventually, but only for the PS3.
And hell, even if you don't care about any of these games? You can dive into each console's already-established library. There are plenty of excellent games to play, and you'll likely be able to find all of them at affordable prices—even if they're brand new.
Ah, the endless boon that new consoles bring for prudent gamers.
Did you stick with the PS3 and 360 (or the Wii?) Got anything you're looking forward on those consoles—including stuff we didn't list here? Let us know in the comments!