After months of theorycrafting and planning, speedrunner quadrazid and his friends were able to run through Half-Life—a game that's anything but short—in 20 minutes. And the fact that it's almost 10 minutes faster than the previous world record shows how perfectly executed their run was.
You can see the entire speedrun above, it's just amazing. The team's also shared a few technical details about this run:
* This run sets the new world record for a segmented speedrun of Half-Life on Hard difficulty with an improvement of 9 minutes. (29:41» 20:41).
* Runners, in order of total amount of segments: quadrazid, CRASH FORT, coolkid, pineapple, YaLTeR, Spider-Waffle, FELip.
* The total amount of segments is 317, 249 of which are shorter than 5 seconds.
* 107 saves/segments was made only to cause and abuse save glitches. 53 of those being at Nihilanth.
* This run is heavily scripted using the in-game console, the most widely used scripts are jump spam, duck spam, 180º turn for gauss boost and precise use-key actions.
* To use the better demo functionality and the support of higher FPS values in the Steam version, a mod have been made to restore the gameplay to the way it was before the anti-bhop patch back in 2001. The mod also features a lot of new HUD elements to aid speedrunning.
Half-Life in 20:41 [YouTube]
To contact the author of this post, write to: firstname.lastname@example.org