We've touched on popular science fiction and fantasy novels that need to have video games made out of them in the past, but commenter TheGizmofromPizmo's list of ten contains some rather intriguing ideas, hence today's Speak Up on Kotaku.
Ten books/series from my collection that I think should be made into video games in no particular order:
1) The Integral Trees by Larry Niven. 3D and almost weightless environment.
2) The Uplift series by David Brin. C'mon bioware... you know you want to.
3) The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. What do you think? First person shooter? Tactics? RTS?
4) The Eight Worlds series, specifically Steel Beach. You like choosing your sex and body shape in a game? Well then this would be the game for you! Gotta love a book where the invasion and expulsion of humans from the planet earth is secondary to the plot.
5) Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. 'nuf said really. (Editor's Note: Several games already exist)
6) Honor Harrington series by David Weber. Intrigue and politics wrapped around a Space battle simulator.
7) Blood Ties by Tanya Huff. Awesome series of books by a Canadian author. You fight Aztec gods, zombies, anti-werewolf bigots, demon lords. What's not to love?
8) The Caves of Steel by Isaac Asimov. LA Noir with robots.
9) Watership Down by Richard Adams. Think Civilization V but with rabbits. Let me say that again. Civilization V. With rabbits. (Editor's other note: Yes.)
10) Foundation series by Mercedes Lackey. Kind of a mediocre series of books that I somehow got addicted to, I just skip all the boring exposition, but it would make a decent open world RPG. You've got psychic horse like avatars, mind powers, and later on magic.
About Speak Up on Kotaku: Our readers have a lot to say, and sometimes what they have to say has nothing to do with the stories we run. That's why we have a forum on Kotaku called Speak Up. That's the place to post anecdotes, photos, game tips and hints, and anything you want to share with Kotaku at large. Every weekday we'll pull one of the best Speak Up posts we can find and highlight it here.