If you want to play a Star Wars massively-multiplayer online game with high-quality writing, lots of lightsabers and a ton of pre-Skywalker adventure, next week's Star Wars: The Old Republic can meet your demands.
But no MMO can have it all on day one, nor can this particular MMO have guild capital ships on day one. For some things, you'll need to wait for a slightly newer version of the game. This is an MMO, you see, and new stuff will be patched in.
Via The Old Republic's official blog, here are the things that will be improved, amplified or added post-launch:
- New Content – We will be adding new content to the galaxy on an ongoing basis. These worlds will include Operations, Flashpoints and solo content.
- Guild Functionality – Guilds are important to the long term health of any MMORPG. We have a huge list of guild centric features. This will be an ongoing effort that will probably never end. Guild banks are the first thing we'll be delivering in our plans for increased guild functionality. Eventually we even want to deliver on the promise of the long hinted at "Guild Capital Ships".
- UI customization – You like choice. We hear you! SWTOR is all about choice. Being able to choose how you interact with an online game is something we feel is very important. We are going to be giving more control over the UI as an ongoing effort. This is a very big priority for us.
- PvP – We have an entire team dedicated to adding content and features to player vs. player. We have some of the most experienced PvP developers in the world on this team. So far very few people have seen, or know much about the stunning Open World PVP on Ilum; when you get to the high levels prepare to be blown away! In addition to that high level PVP content, expect new Warzones and new PvP features on a regular basis.
- Space Combat – We will continue to add missions to the space game. We also have a special project going on right now that will expand space gameplay in a significant way... for now the details will have to remain under wraps.
- Legacy System – The ability to select a surname for your character is just the start of something much bigger. Soon, the Legacy experience and levels you earn will grant your characters access to powers, objects and other cool benefits.
- And more – We have an entire team of developers working on future content. Right now we are focused on nothing else but Star Wars: The Old Republic, so expect new and cool things.
Think of these as a) a reason to wait or b) a justification for game's $15 monthly subscription fee, which surely finances continued expansions to the game.
Hey, TOR people, how about you work on Mac compatibility, too, so I can play your game on my work computer and my laptop?
We'll have more about BioWare's massive new game in the coming days as we dive into it and start using the Force.
What's next for The Old Republic [Star Wars: The Old Republic official site. Thanks, Vitas!]