One PlayStation 3 title just did some serious business in Japan. Tales of Xillia, the latest in Namco's long-running Tales of series, has already moved a half-million overseas. That's a pretty damn good start for a PS3 game.
The release of Tales of Xillia did Sony a few favors on the hardware side in Japan (see below) as well, pushing the PS3 past the cheaper, now more popular Nintendo 3DS in Sony and Nintendo's home territory. It was a good week for the PS3 in general, with Resident Evil: Revival Selection—the HD upgrade of Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil Code Veronica X—coming in second and Insomniac Games' shooter Resistance 3 coming in third.
Another PlayStation 3 HD upgrad, Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD Version, continues to sell well.
Read on for the bestselling Japanese video games for the week of September 5 to 11, courtesy of sales tracker Media Create.
01. Tales of Xillia (PS3) - 525,605 / NEW
02. Resident Evil: Revival Selection (PS3) - 93,768 / NEW
03. Resistance 3 (PS3) - 20,342 / NEW
04. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD Ver. (PS3) - 20,162 / 360,783
05. Grand Knights History (PSP) - 19,712 / 84,341
06. Super Sentai Battle: Ranger Cross (Wii) - 16,457 / NEW
07. Rhythm Heaven Wii (Wii) - 15,600 / 437,913
08. Hot Shots Golf 5 "PlayStation 3 the Best" (PS3) - 12,357 / NEW
09. Kirby Mass Attack (DS) - 11,240 / 208,268
10. Wii Sports Resort with Wii Remote Plus (Wii) - 10,324 / 537,008
11. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS)
12. Sengoku Musou 3 Empires (PS3)
13. MonHun Nikki: Poka Poka Ailu Mura G (PSP) - 8,002 / 183,342
14. Pokemon Super Scramble (3DS)
15. Resident Evil: Revival Selection (Xbox 360)
16. Family Fishing (Wii)
17. Dynasty Warriors 6 Special (PSP)
18. Uta no * Prince-Sama: Repeat (PSP)
19. Call of Duty: Black Ops "Bargain Edition" (PS3)
20. Mobile Suit Gundam: Shin Gihren no Yabou (PSP)
Hardware-wise, it's advantage Sony this week, with the PlayStation 3 coming out on top. The Nintendo 3DS, however, remains strong in Japan, selling almost twice what the PlayStation Portable did in a one-week period.
PlayStation 3 - 64,786
Nintendo 3DS - 49,076
PSP - 25,391
Wii - 10,743
Nintendo DSi LL - 2,882
Nintendo DSi - 1,957
PlayStation 2 - 1,386
Xbox 360 - 1,219
Nintendo DS Lite - 51
PSP go - 13