Last week's software champ, Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD Ver., had to settle for a second place showing in Japan this week, thanks to the warm reception of the latest Vanillaware and Marvelous Entertainment game Grand Knights History.
The PSP game racked up more than 60,000 sales in its first week on sale, according to sales tracker Media Create. The PSP to PS3 port of Monster Hunter Portable 3rd saw a big drop off in sales, down to a little over 50,000 units. Devil Survivor Overclock, the lone Nintendo 3DS game in the top ten, did about 20,000 week one.
Another Monster Hunter game debuted (in a way), with Monster Hunter Frontier Online's "2011 Anniversary Premium Package" landing at 16th place, one spot behind the subtitled version of Call of Duty: Black Ops.
For the top 20 bestselling games in Japan for the week of August 29 to September 4, consult this ordered list.
01. Grand Knights History (PSP) - 64,630 / NEW
02. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD Ver. (PS3) - 52,792 / 340,621
03. Rhythm Heaven Wii (Wii) - 22,762 / 422,314
04. Sengoku Musou 3 Empires (PS3) - 21,604 / 91,858
05. Devil Survivor Overclock (3DS) - 20,809 / NEW
06. Kirby Mass Attack (DS) - 15,804 / 197,028
07. Corpse Party: Book of Shadows (PSP) - 15,249 / NEW
08. Mobile Suit Gundam: Shin Gihren no Yabou (PSP) - 14,656 / 90,267
09. MonHun Nikki: Poka Poka Ailu Mura G (PSP) - 12,924 / 175,340
10. Shin Sangoku Musou 6 Special (PSP) - 12,209 / 37,516
11. Pokemon Super Scramble (3DS)
12. Wii Sports Resort with Wii Remote Plus (Wii)
13. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS)
14. Black * Rock Shooter: the Game (PSP)
15. Call of Duty: Black Ops (PS3)
16. Monster Hunter Frontier Online (Anniversary 2011 Premium Package) (Xbox 360)
17. Uta no * Prince-Sama: Repeat (PSP)
18. Toriko: Gourmet Survival (PSP)
19. Taiko no Tatsujin Portable DX (PSP)
20. Suite PreCure: Melody Collection (DS)
On the hardware side, it's the Nintendo 3DS representing (once again) at the top of the charts, with the PlayStation 3 and PSP following not-so-closely behind. Xbox 360 and PSP go sales continue to unimpress in Japan, with the former still being outsold by the PlayStation 2, the latter selling in the single digits.
Nintendo 3DS - 54,744
PlayStation 3 - 33,831
PSP - 30,192
Wii - 11,606
Nintendo DSi LL - 3,177
Nintendo DSi - 2,453
PlayStation 2 - 1,394
Xbox 360 - 1,228
Nintendo DS Lite - 80
PSP go - 7