Whether you agree with the Supreme Court's ruling against a California law against violent video games, today, you should know that strong arguments were made on both sides.
- Video games are just like literature?
- America is okay with kids seeing violent entertainment?
- Video games are meaningfully more immersive than books?
- The Founding Fathers never intended the Freedom of Speech to apply to kids?
- There's something wrong if it's okay to criminalize the sale of an image of a naked woman to a kid but not the sale of a game in which the kid can chop a woman's head off?
Those are among the arguments the nine Justices made today as the Court ruled 7-2 that the California law criminalizing the sale of ultra-violent games to minors was un-Constitutional.