We knew going into E3 that something seen there would be the basis for our latest 'Shop Contest challenge, and that the new console from Nintendo would probably be it. It is. Instead of the console case itself, though, we're thinking that new Wii U controller has some untapped potential, especially in the real world.
With a camera built into it, the Wii U controller can perform tricks like the one seen in the demonstration game Shield Pose that McWhertor tested out in his hands-on with the machine. Basically, by holding up the Wii U controller to something, its screen can become a window into another world.
So that's where you come in. We supply the Wii U controller shot, and you supply the other world. The obvious sight gag, of course, is to hold the thing in front of one game on a TV and display its true self on the Wii U controller screen. That's useful for a joke about a particularly derivative game. But feel free to put these hands to use out in the real world, too.
Just one note, while we all love "They Live," realize that joke's going to be done with the alien and the big OBEY sign within a minute of this challenge posting. So go for it, but try to think of something a little different.
Source Image: The Wii U Controller being used in Shield Pose
You know the rules: The 20 best will get rounded up and published at the end of next Saturday. Meantime, I and the rest of the starred commentariat will approve and promote as many as we can so folks can see them and pass judgment.
This is your no-frills step-by-step procedure to participation in the Kotaku 'Shop Contest.
1. Create your 'Shop.
2. Upload it to a free image hosting service. I suggest imgur. It's stupid simple. No account is necessary.
3. This is very important: You must use the URL of the image itself. In imgur, this is the second URL it gives you after you upload the image. It's under "Direct Link (email & IM)"
4. At the beginning of the comments roll, click "Start a New Thread"
5. To the right of your name, select "Image."
6. Paste the imgur URL in the image URL field. It's the field that says "Image URL."
7. You can add editorial commentary if you want, but then just hit submit and your image will load. If it doesn't, paste the image URL as a comment.
8. This is important: Keep your image size under 1 MB. It will not upload to comments if it is over that size.
'Shop entry will be uploaded to the comments.
As an added inducement, I want to let you know I do star commenters who send in worthy/funny submissions - whether or not they're chosen for the final 20. This may not happen immediately. I usually start rounding up a gallery by the middle of the week. This is my subjective call, but I do want to recognize as many contributors as possible, and show gratitude for making this such a popular feature on weekends.
Now, Gentlemen, start your 'shopping!