A game about stripping the clothes off of vampires in otaku haven Akihabara is Japan's bestselling game right now, the curious and cleverly titled Akiba's Strip for PSP. That game easily beat the new Dead or Alive and Valve's Portal 2 overseas.
Dead or Alive: Dimensions settled for second this week, a debut not so bad when considering the PSP's install base and that of the much younger Nintendo 3DS. Japanese console gamers didn't shine to first-person puzzler Portal 2, which only managed to sell about 13,000 copies in its first week on the market. Lesson learned: Portal 2 needed more clothes ripping action.
The first place showing of Akiba's Trip managed to unseat former Media Create sales chart champ Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 Professional for the Nintendo DS, which was bumped to third.
Here are the bestselling games in Japan for the week of May 16 to 22.
01. Akiba's Trip (PSP) - 58,150 / NEW
02. Dead or Alive: Dimensions (3DS) - 23,078 / NEW
03. Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 Professional (DS) - 19,290 / 494,793
04. Gungnir: Mayari no Gunshin to Eiyuu Sensou (PSP) - 16,355 / NEW
05. Patapon 3 (PSP) - 11,458 / 95,341
06. Portal 2 (PS3) - 8,942 / NEW
07. Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2011 (PSP) - 8,032 / 160,066
08. Wii Party (Wii) - 5,043 / 1,891,324
09. Pokemon Black / White (DS) - 4,767 / 5,181,982
10. Steel Diver (3DS) - 4,583 / 21,991
11. Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2011 (PS3)
12. Dai-2-Ji Super Robot Taisen Z Hakai-hen (PSP)
13. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (PSP)
14. Haruhi Suzumiya no Tsuisou (PSP)
15. Elminage Original: Majo to Megami to Kamigami no Yubiwa (PSP)
16. Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
17. Haruhi Suzumiya no Tsuisou (PS3)
18. Saigo no Yakusoku no Monogatari (PSP)
19. Portal 2 (Xbox 360)
20. nintendogs + cats (3DS)
In the console war, Japan is still firmly PSP country, with Sony's six and a half year old handheld doing just fine overseas. The hardware list stays pretty static, with the only notable change in the form of the PSP go's dip into double-digit sales territory. Overall, it was a slower week for hardware sales, with every platform seeing a week-to-week dip.
- PSP - 30,463
- Nintendo 3DS - 17,240
- PlayStation 3 - 12,935
- Wii - 6,269
- Nintendo DSi LL - 5,176
- Nintendo DSi - 4,938
- Xbox 360 - 2,186
- PlayStation 2 - 1,129
- Nintendo DS Lite - 158
- PSP go - 65