In 2009, EA Sports produced the single greatest soccer game - and maybe greatest sports game of all time - in FIFA 10. That kind of act is a tough one to follow, and it seems that, two years on, we're back to tiny little bullet-point updates.
According to translations of the latest issue of Official PlayStation Magazine France, the big new features in this year's FIFA are...well, there aren't any. Just lots and lots of little ones.
Here's a translation of the key points, courtesy of CVG:
- FIFA 12 introduces the 'Impact Engine' which properly tracks and formulates contact between players, including their hips, knees etc.
- The AI will also keep track of areas of the body players have been injured during a match. Players can also become injured off the ball if abused too much, especially late in the game.
- FIFA 12 also introduces 'AI Vision Game' (rough translation), which promises to make passing more realistic. If you try to complete a pass to a player that's not within visible range, for example, it's less likely you'll complete the pass. EA hopes this will get rid of "blind passing".
- Personality Plus is more developed and should influence AI players' passes this time.
- AI is said to be "more human", with each player acting more or less according to his abilities. One example given is when an AI player sees Fabregas coming towards him with the ball, he'll act more carefully.
- OPM describes "new presentation" of matches in FIFA 12, which are said to be very much inspired by English football crowds.
- The game includes three new arenas, this time with integrated benches along the sidelines and "impressive lighting effects" according to OPM France.
- Integration of a new short dribble with the left stick.
- The game features a new camera that's noticeably closer to the ground.
- There's also a new menu interface that appears to be simpler and more ergonomic than before.
Now, many of those sound just fine. The series has long needed better menus, and some less "plastic" presentation would also be great. But tiny little updates and a roster change is what bums people out about Madden year in year out, so as a massive FIFA fan here's hoping there's some more substantial improvements yet to be announced.
FIFA 12 - First Details [CVG]