Since its launch in Japan, the Nintendo 3DS has ruled the hardware chart, making a strong debut overseas and outselling its entrenched competition. But this week, the still popular PSP strikes back—and so does the Nintendo DS.
The week's bestselling game according to sales chart watchers Media Create was a DS title, Square Enix's Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 Professional. The Dragon Quest spin-off sold in a big way, easily beating its closest competitor Amagami (EBKore+) for the PSP, a game that also managed to chart on ye olde PlayStation 2.
There's plenty of new software on the chart, including a new BlazBlue for the PSP, two new Nintendo 3DS games and even Crysis 2. Want to know how many Japan-based gamers snapped up Crytek's new shooter?
Take a look at the list below.
(The answer is 10,416.)
Here are the bestselling games in Japan for the week of March 28 to April 3.
01. Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 Professional (DS) - 163,008 / NEW
02. Amagami (EBKore+) (PSP) - 69,221 / NEW
03. Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection (PSP) - 31,382 / 135,554
04. Dynasty Warriors 6 (PS3) - 26,493 / 383,606
05. BlazBlue Continuum Shift II (PSP) - 23,808
06. Amagami (EBKore+) (PS2) - 17,261 / NEW
07. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (PSP) - 15,864 / 4,417,517
08. Dissidia Duodecim Final Fantasy (PSP) - 15,223 / 419,135
09. Pro Yakyuu Famista 2011 (3DS) - 12,851 / NEW
10. Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity (PSP) - 12,002 / 312,419
11. nintendogs + cats (3DS)
12. Crysis 2 (PS3)
13. Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (3DS)
14. Pokemon Black / White (DS)
15. Naruto Shippuden: Ninrattai Emaki! Saikyou Ninkai Kessen!! (3DS)
16. Wii Party (Wii)
17. SD Gundam G Generation World (PSP)
18. Way of the Samurai 4 (PS3)
19. Portable Fairy Tail Guild 2 (PSP)
20. Gundam the 3D Battle (3DS)
On the hardware side of things, yes, the PSP returned to portable dominance this week, thanks to a top ten that's stuffed with PlayStation Portable software. Cool sales of new 3DS games didn't do Nintendo's 3D platform many favors, but we're sure the 3DS will bounce back when more desirable games come to the platform.
- PSP - 57,379
- Nintendo 3DS - 42,979
- PlayStation 3 - 27,453
- Wii - 10,249
- Nintendo DSi LL - 9,706
- Nintendo DSi - 9,566
- PlayStation 2 - 1,996
- Xbox 360 - 1,789
- PSP go - 696
- Nintendo DS Lite - 629