Atlus' weird and (for some) nightmarishly difficult adventure Catherine is on its way to being a bit hit overseas. One week in and the game has sold more than 160,000 copies to eager Japanese gamers.
That's better than another big new release, Marvel vs. Capcom 3, fared this week. Capcom's fighting game managed to knock out a little more than 80,000 copies sold, Xbox 360 and PS3 combined. MVC3 is joined in the top ten by newcomers Two Worlds II and Hakuouki: Zuisouroku DS. That top ten is dominated by Sony, with PlayStation 3 and PSP games securing first through sixth place on this week's software chart.
Here are the top 20 bestselling games in Japan, according to Media Create, for the week of February 14 to 20.
01. Catherine (PS3) - 141,826 / NEW
02. Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds (PS3) - 67,187 / NEW
03. Samurai Warriors 3 Z (PS3) - 58,089 / 266,637
04. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (PSP) - 39,727 / 4,289,349
05. Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 (PSP) - 26,504 / 248,572
06. Two Worlds II (PS3) - 24,324 / NEW
07. Catherine (Xbox 360) - 21,936 / NEW
08. Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds (Xbox 360) - 13,779
09. Hakuouki: Zuisouroku DS (DS) - 13,373 / NEW
10. Gyakuten Kenji 2 (DS) - 13,186 / 176,362
11. Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)
12. Sengoku Musou 3 Moushouden (Wii)
13. Pokemon Black / White (DS)
14. DJ Max Portable 3 (PSP)
15. Two Worlds II (Xbox 360)
16. Kenka Banchou 5: Otoko no Housoku (PSP)
17. Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare (PS3)
18. Wii Party (Wii)
19. World Soccer Winning Eleven 2011 (PSP)
20. Ni no Kuni (DS)
On the hardware side, great selling PlayStation games mean great selling PlayStation hardware. PSP dominates this week and, along with the PlayStation 3, gives Sony a big share of the pie. Expect that to change noticeably next week, when Nintendo 3DS hardware figures become a factor.
- PSP - 63,330
- PlayStation 3 - 25,242
- Wii - 12,221
- Nintendo DSi LL - 10,037
- Nintendo DSi - 8,022
- PSP go - 2,487
- Xbox 360 - 2,183
- PlayStation 2 - 1,863
- Nintendo DS Lite - 973