Level 5 and Studio Ghibli collaboration Ni no Kuni hit the Nintendo DS in Japan this week. It appears to have done many favors for the DS overseas, but it was still Monster Hunter Portable 3rd in first place.
The latest Monster Hunter for the PlayStation Portable moved nearly 630,000 copies in Japan, moving the Capcom game past the 2.5 million mark during its second week on sale. Ni no Kuni did quite well for itself in its first week on sale, about 170,000 units. Also joining the sales fray in Japan were Donkey Kong Country Returns for the Wii and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood for the PlayStation 3.
See software and hardware numbers after this, courtesy of Media Cretae.
01. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (PSP) - 629,541 / 2,580,258
02. Ni no Kuni (DS) - 170,548 / NEW
03. Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii) - 163,310 / NEW
04. Pokemon Black / White (DS) - 79,819 / 4,628,773
05. Mario Sports Mix (Wii) - 68,430 / 212,420
06. Wii Party (Wii) - 55,412 / 1,318,875
07. Super Mario Collection Pack (Wii) - 53,670 / 712,989
08. Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem (DS) - 51,828 / 109,302
09. Tales of Graces F (PS3) - 39,640 / 254,828
10. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (PS3) - 36,098 / NEW
11. Super Kasekihorida (DS)
12. Tongari Boushi to Mahou no Otana (DS)
13. Kirby's Epic Yarn (Wii)
14. Fushigi no Dungeon: Fuurai no Shiren 5 - Fortun Tower to Unmei no Dice (Wii)
15. Wii Sports Resort (Wii)
16. Gran Turismo 5 (PS3)
17. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)
18. Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Minna de Party * 3-Yome! (Wii)
19. Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
20. Momotarou Dentetsu World (DS)
It's a pretty close race between the PlayStation and Nintendo families, with the PSP coming out of top on the portable side, the Wii winning this week's console battle.
- PSP - 158,029
- Wii - 79,424
- Nintendo DSi LL - 59,709
- Nintendo DSi - 55,993
- PlayStation 3 - 41,882
- Xbox 360 - 3,695
- Nintendo DS Lite - 3,309
- PlayStation 2 - 2,054
- PSP go - 1,904