Valve has released a new, still-in-beta version of the wildly popular online shooter Counter-Strike: Source, adding in new achievements, "domination and revenge" systems and other improvements that don't muck with the game's core experience.
What the new Counter-Strike: Source does appear to bring with it are a handful of features seen in other Valve-developed games. The domination and revenge system sounds reminiscent of the same feature seen in Team Fortress 2, not much more than a chance to feel good about racking up kill streaks against players (or breaking someone else's kill streak).
There are 144 new Steam achievements, a look at lifetime and match-specific player stats, as well as a few visual tweaks and Source engine updates. Valve says the beta will run for an unspecified limited time and that developer Hidden Path was tapped to help with the changes.
Here's the full list of beta changes, according to Valve.
- 144 achievements added
- New lifetime player stats and summary screens
- New match player stats and summary screens
- New end of round display with MVP and interesting fact about a player
- Updated scoreboard with new icons, visual style, MVP stars, and avatar pictures
- New cinematic death camera
- New domination and revenge system
- Added avatar icons to voice chat, scoreboard, and end of round display
- Incorporated many source engine updates