Nintendo's New Super Mario Bros. Wii had a big January, following its 2.8 million copies sold in December '09 with another 650,000-plus copies to Mario-hungry Wii owners in the United States.
The one game that came closest to Nintendo's super popular platformer was BioWare's Mass Effect 2, moving more than 570,000 copies on the Xbox 360 alone. Not bad for just six days on the market. The rest of the NPD's top ten line up was full of familiar faces, such as Wii Fit Plus, Mario Kart and Modern Warfare 2. Three new top tenners, EA's Army of Two: The 40th Day, THQ's Darksiders and Ubisoft's Just Dance managed to add a little variety to January's bestsellers.
Here are January's top ten games in the U.S., per NPD, a list that does not contain the word Bayonetta, somewhat surprisingly.
01. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii) - 656,700
02. Mass Effect 2 (Xbox 360) - 572,100
03. Wii Fit Plus (Wii) - 555,700
04. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Xbox 360) - 326,700
05. Mario Kart Wii (Wii) - 310,900
06. Wii Sports Resort (Wii) - 297,600
07. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PS3) - 259,000
08. Army of Two: The 40th Day (Xbox 360) - 246,500
09. Just Dance (Wii) - 191,900
10. Darksiders (Xbox 360) - 171,200
U.S. consumers dropped $597.9 million on video games during the month of January, down 12 percent from January 2009, when software sales reached $682.6 million.