In December, New Super Mario Bros. Wii sold another 2.82 million copies to U.S. consumers, pushing the game past the 4 million mark in the United States, according to the NPD Group. That's the start of good news for Nintendo.
Nintendo also sold another 2.4 million copies of Wii Fit Plus and 1.79 million copies of Wii Sports Resort last month, securing the top three spots on NPD's list of December's bestselling games. Nintendo had six of the top ten bestselling games for the month, representing more than 9.62 million games sold across the Wii and DS platforms.
And that's just in the top ten.
The Xbox 360 had three of the top ten, with Modern Warfare 2 moving another 1.63 million, Assassin's Creed II (783.1K) and Left 4 Dead 2 (728.5K) also charting high. Modern Warfare 2 represented the PlayStation 3's only top ten showing, another million-plus copies sold.
Here's the tally, from 11/29/09 - 1/2/10, according to the NPD Group.
01. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii) - 2,820,000
02. Wii Fit Plus (Wii) - 2,410,000
03. Wii Sports Resort (Wii) - 1,790,000
04. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Xbox 360) - 1,630,000
05. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PS3) - 1,120,000
06. Wii Play (Wii) - 1,010,000
07. Mario Kart Wii (Wii) - 936,1000
08. Assassin's Creed II (Xbox 360) - 783,1000
09. Left 4 Dead 2 (Xbox 360) - 728,500
10. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (DS) - 656,700
Video game software sales for December '09 totaled $2.58 billion USD. That's good, but still down from December '08, which saw software sales reach $2.77 billion USD.